Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Sad Sad Day for the Miata

Well last Thursday morning I came out to my car to go to work and this is what I found.

Yeah its a little more than just a sad day. It was a really sad day.


This roof was only a year old. We bought a new roof with a glass back window last year for like $250 and Zac put in all the time and work to install it himself. And now it is ruined. Just in time for the rainy season. Fabulous right?

Oh but it gets better. The hole in the roof was just the entry into my car to get what they were really after. My $300 stereo. It had a special hook up for my ipod. The stereo and the roof were really the only nice things about my car, and now they are gone. And of course they went through all of my compartments and stole anything else of value, including the $2 in change in my ash tray.
My car is 19 years old, and now without the stereo the silence gives me the opportunity to hear all the clicking, buzzing, and chinking noises that my car makes in it's old age. Add to the ruined roof and the stolen stereo the fact that my windshield has a crack all the way across it and my car hasn't been registered for the past year because we can't get it to pass smog inspection. We've tried twice and already spent about $150 trying to get it to pass, and they say we need to take the $90 diagnostic test but one mechanic guessed it was probably the catalytic converter- and that's not going to be cheap. Also I have to put air in all the tires every two weeks because I got screws in them (we think from our apartment complex) and although I got them patched, I don't think the patches are holding because they lose about half their psi every two weeks. Also over the summer the inside of my car was egged overnight here at our apartment, and we tried to clean it but you can still see streaks on the fabric.
Also don't worry, our insurance doesn't cover any of this because my car is so old we decided it wouldn't be worth it to have anything but the very basic coverage on it, which was and still is a good choice, but it didn't seem to work out in this instance.

The silver lining to all of this... our apartment complex gave us a garage for free (it would have been a $50 a month extra charge if we had to pay for it). Although legally they certainly didn't have to do anything for us, and they do have security guards that roam the complex at night, they were very nice to give us a garage for free since my car was clearly being targeted, and they obviously didn't want us to move out of the complex. Our new garage is a little farther walk for me, but now it gives us more storage space which is really awesome because we desperately need more storage.

This situation has been really depressing and upsetting for me, but we did get something nice out of it that we didn't have before, so that is nice. Now if we can just get my car back in good condition I will feel a whole lot better! And if you want to donate a dollar to the fix my car fund I won't turn you down! Ha! But really we will find a way to make it work. The Lord has blessed us so much, we have to have some trials, right? I am sure the Lord will help guide us to the right people and the right places that will help us get my car back into good condition.








2 comments:

  1. That totally sucks! I'm sorry!! When we lived in the "hood" in SLC, I swear I had someone targeting me. The times when our cars were broken into, it was always the one that I had driven that day... creepy. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My poor Kira T. I am soooo sorry. Your poor pretty car. I can't believe so much crap has happened to you since you have been there. Call me if you ever need to talk. I love you Kira T.

    ReplyDelete