Saturday, April 24, 2010

Finishing Gabbie's Bedroom

Since Gabbie surprised us by coming 2 weeks early we didn't have her room prepared yet, not that I didn't try- Zac kept procrastinating since we "still had time." In fact when I was in labor in the hospital Zac went home to put a few more coats of varnish on the changing table.
We actually had the crib done and set up before she was born, but that was the one thing she wasn't even going to use for a while! Our second bedroom (her bedroom- where the crib is) is downstairs, so we put a pack-and-play (with a bassinet) upstairs in our room for her to sleep in for the first couple of months. So it will still be a while before she even spends her nights in the crib, but at least Zac got it done!
It was about a week after Gabbie was born that Zac got the changing table done. Zac actually finished it in warp speed, I was pretty impressed! And it turned out completely amazing! I am so glad Zac made this furniture for our daughter, it is beautiful, and that much more amazing because Zac made it.
This is her bedding that I designed and made with my mom's help. I was really glad my mom had it professionally quited, because that was really difficult with the soft fuzzy fabric I picked. Again she hasn't gotten much use out of it yet, but I'm sure some day she will love it.

So not only did we not have her furniture done yet, we hadn't finished shopping! When my mom got there on the Friday after she was born she went with us to Target and Babies 'R Us to finish doing our shopping for all those little necessities like wipes, and diapers, etc. We also ordered our rocking chair which has turned out to be a very well used item.

We only have 2 bedrooms, 1 is obviously ours, and our other room was completely packed, so we had to deep clean the room and throw a bunch of stuff out to make room for Gabriella. We originally had high hopes of giving her half the room, but she ended up with only about a 1/3 and the smaller of the two closets.

This is our 2/3 of the room, with 1/3 the den with the desks and computers and all our BYU paraphernalia, and the other 1/3 with my sewing machines, painting supplies, and scrapbooking stuff.

This is Gabriella's 1/3 with her crib, changing table, and bookcase. Zac got me a small TV for the room for my birthday so I could watch TV and movies while doing crafts, but now it has definitely come in handy for all those all nighters staying up with my crying daughter.


The room is definitely packed, but it has to serve a lot of purposes and I think it looks as nice as can be expected for all the stuff we had to cram in there!

3 comments:

  1. Alan and I know all about cramming a baby into a two bedroom apt!! It looks great though. The furniture turned out beautifully--great job Zac! I'm glad you are enjoying your precious little girl so much. I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet her when you came to SLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you managed to fit everything in there and I personally think it looks great. Zac really did do an amazing job with all that furniture. I guess we have to stop giving dad SUCH a hard time about his man cave. :) I can't wait to come out and see all the hard work in person. You two are amazing and I hope all is going well in your rather packed (but still very organized) room. I wish I had more of your organizational skills Kira T. I love you lots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that turned out so amazing!! so impressive that zac built all of that with your dad and that your mom and you were able to design and sew everything!! you guys are so amazingly talented!!
    gabby is definitely in for some crafting. :)
    cute room!

    ReplyDelete